Cajun Shrimp Casserole
A fresh take on the casserole, with a kick.
- 2 pounds large raw shrimp
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cups bell peppers (any/all colors), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups okra, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of shrimp soup
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more for spicy)
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice (cook separately)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. Cook rice separately and set aside. Peel shrimp and devein, if necessary. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers; saute 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in okra, lemon juice and salt; saute 5 minutes. Add shrimp; saute 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in soup, wine, soy sauce and cayenne pepper until blended.
3. Pour sauteed mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top evenly with parmesan cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.