"Cheesie Woofers" (made up name to appeal to my kids! sounded cool)
this was concocted by me as a young mom in order to sneak some veggies into my kids' meals. it was a quick & easy preparation for whenever we had hungry cousins & friends join them too!
- 1~ package of Applegate Natural Black Forest Ham (nitrate-free)
- 1~ package of Applegate Organic Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1~ package of frozen Wild Harvest organic broccoli florets OR
- 1~ container of Wild Harvest baby spinach leaves
- 1~ can (8 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- obviously any of the above ingredients can be substituted with what's currently in your frig. we've used turkey or chicken slices instead of ham at times. we've used any kind of cheese imaginable as well. Gouda is excellent as is Swiss. we've pretty much stuck with either of the 2 veggies listed above, but go crazy with your fave!
Step 1~ Heat oven to 350°F. Separate dough into 8 triangles. Place 1 piece of ham cut into a triangular shape on each piece of dough; place one piece of cheese also cut into a triangular shape on another piece of dough.
Step 2~ put either pre-steamed broccoli tips or pre-steamed spinach leaves on top of the cheese. make sure to wrap in a paper towel first to dry off any of the water from veggies.
Step 3~ turn the piece of dough with the cheese over on top of the piece of dough with the ham & veggie as if to make a sandwich. Pinch the sides of the triangle crescent shape together all around to seal.
Step 4~ Bake 8-10 minutes ON EACH SIDE flipping over with a spatula. Take off cookie sheet and let cool for a few moments before serving.