A quick, delicious, filling vegetarian meal....perfect with pita and hummus.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 15oz can chick-peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 16oz can chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup couscous
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until the onion is translucent. Sprinkle in the cumin, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne pepper and cook 2 minutes more, stirring often.
2. Stir in the zucchini, yellow squash, chickpeas, tomatoes, and raisins. Cover the pan and lower the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini and yellow squash are tender, about 10 minutes. (The juices should be thickened at this point. If they are not, remove the cover and boil a few minutes until thick.)
3. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous. Bring the broth, salt, and butter to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover, remove from the heat, and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
4. Serve veggie mixture over couscous, and enjoy with pita and hummus.